About

Mission Statement – declares our purpose

St Michael’s: A church for all ages. A faith for all people. A place for everyone.

Vision Statement – expresses our objectives

St Michael’s is seeking to be the spiritual heart of the neighbourhood; creating a community of faith, hope and in belief of the power of God’s love. Come and join us.

Values Statement – shares our beliefs

  • Holy – a celebration of worship in the beauty of holiness
  • Active – reaching out to our communities
  • Open – welcoming and engaging

St Michael’s is a church in the Kingston Episcopal Area of the Diocese of Southwark. Our diocesan bishop is the Rt Rev’d Christopher Chessun, Bishop of Southwark, and our area bishop is the Rt Rev’d Richard Cheetham, Bishop of Kingston. You can find a link to our diocesan website here.

Click here to view our annual review for 2019/20.

Parish Clergy

Stephen Stavrou

Vicar

Judith Roberts

Assistant Priest

Martin Calderbank

Curate

People at Saint Michael's

Andrew Childs

Church Warden

Lizzie Hackett-Brown

Church Warden

Sarah Payne

Parish Administrator

Laurence Williams

Director of Music

Jacqueline Russel

Treasurer

Sue Pandit

Stewardship Secretary

Roger Needham

Sarcristan

Andy Puddifoot

Head Server

Rhodri Walters

Archivist

Finding Us

St Michael’s is a 2 minute walk from Barnes Bridge Train Station and 15 minutes from Barnes Station, on the line from Waterloo and Clapham Junction. The 209 and 419 bus routes stop closest to the church and connect us to Hammersmith underground station and four different tube lines. Parking around the church is unrestricted at weekends and there is a bicycle rack in the churchyard.

History of Saint Michael’s

The current building of St Michael’s and All Angels was consecrated in January 1893. However, the church as a worshipping congregation dates from 1867 when, at the instigation of Canon Melville, the then Rector of Barnes, a ‘school church’ was erected in Archway Street. Paid for by public subscription to serve the increasingly built-up area of Westfields, the building served as a school on weekdays and a church on Sundays in the summer months. A more permanent arrangement came with the purchase of a temporary ‘iron’ church, erected alongside the school in 1878, which offered year-round services in the charge of one of the St Mary’s curates. The building of the present church, to a design by Charles Innes, architect and member of the congregation, was due to the energy of the Revd L. T. Lochee, Rector (who saw to the purchase of the Elm Bank estate and the commencement of building), and its completion (with the erection of the south aisle in 1905) to that of his successor, Meredyth Kitson.  From the outset, the tradition of worship at St Michael’s was Anglo-Catholic or ‘High Anglican’, reflecting the tradition of the young clergy who served there, with the support of successive Rectors of St Mary’s. Established as a separate parish in 1919, the Vicarage at the end of Elm Bank Gardens was built at the same time. St Michael’s is now part of the Barnes Team Ministry, along with St Mary’s and Holy Trinity, but retaining its tradition and identity as the parish church for the Westfields area of Barnes.

Stay Connected

Subscribe to our church newsletter